Friday, June 10, 2005

A (semi) patriotic call

People:

STAY AWAY FROM WALMART!!!

Those bastards are killing our country.

If any of you have ever been to a small town and shopped in "THE" co-op or the Saan or THE store, you'll understand (but you might not get it).

This is what a one-store economy looks like where THE store determines what can be sold. Or not.

I've been to a town where THE store used to be the Co-op. Then everyone was excited because WalMart was coming to town. And then they killed the Co-op. and just about every other store in the area.

Sure, a can of peas is two cents cheaper. That goes a long way. BUT, if you can't find that can of peas in the trunk of your Lexus when you get it home, think about this:

Is you way of life worth preserving? Do you think that maybe paying two cents more to support a LOCAL business (rather than a faceless entity) might help the local economy rather than to help to kill it? A healthy local economy keeps a lot of people working (maybe even YOU).

If your product is available somewhere else OTHER than Walmart, think it through.

/tangent

Yes, I'm proudly Canadian and it sickens me to see WalMart in our midst. But you know what? It makes me just as sick to see THEM kill small towns in the U.S. too. Do they give back to the communities? I don't know, I'd be willing to learn. Sure, they hire a couple of old people to stand at the door and say 'howdy', but do they do anything else? Educate me. I'm listening....

/end-tangent

Anyhow, I've never been to Walmart. I don't intend to go (well, maybe it's good for stalking people? lots of big, empty aisles would make it easy to see me though). Any chance I get, I rant at people to NOT to go there. Maybe they don't understand why. No one has ever asked me why.

No witty signature for this one, people. Just smarten-the-fuck up, before it's too late.
Comments:
That might be the case where you live, but here the local Wal-Mart came in, bought up land and closed down a whole pile of other businesses. Then it closed down MORE businesses by competing with them.

Net of everything, Wal-Mart employed about 2/3 as many people ... and the wages they are paying are only about sixty percent of what people were making before.

Perhaps, in a very depressed area, they might offer more jobs ... but, overall, all the numbers I have seen suggest they damage an area more than they help.
 
The think is, Wal*Mart improves the material standard of living for the masses.

Sure it kills the independent's who are trying their best at a capitalists life (and I respect and cheer them on - shopping there when I can afford it).

Wal*Mart makes products available to the people who otherwise can't afford it.

Sure, maybe it creates some of those people in the process as well.

It's also DEEPLY American. I've dealt with them at a corporate level and heard stories (NOT corroborated, so could just be urban rumour) of sales people being denied access to a particular buyer purely because they pulled up in a foreign vehicle.

Now, I'm NOT American, but I can respect that kind of behaviour.
 
Clearly the solution is to start some more Wal-Mart unions, like those bastards out in Quebec. Come on Unc, unite the proletariate!
Dean
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?