Friday, August 12, 2005

Life in Calgary

(based on something Erni said)

Life in Calgary is good. As far as 'big cities' go, it's a pretty darn good place to call home.

We've got a football team (red, not green). We've got access to the mountains if we want to go play on skis or on bikes. We've got a couple of hockey teams, a junior one and one that's almost as good as the Oilers (heh heh)

And we've got weather. Sigh. man, do we have weather.

This year, we received 60% of our annual precipitation in June. Flooding was pretty amazing in Calgary (see photo left) and in High River (see photo below).

(send an email to me at mog@shaw.ca and I'll send you the powerpoint slide shows of each).

I think that the weather here is the one thing that really makes this city entertaining. I've been here when the temp hits +20 in December and February. Always makes a picture in the paper when some fool is out golfing that time of year (luckily they haven't caught me at it yet!). I've seen snow in July (10th, 1999, at Stampede. Luckily my buddy Laurie and I were fairly 'lubricated' and didn't notice so much.)

Just after I moved into the Hamptons, there was a rainstorm that was so big (how big was it?) that the water hit the fence across from my yard where the land development was taking place and it hit the fence in a wave and went over the fence. Man, I wish I had a picture of that. It was cool.

Then there's the hail storms. Sure a bit of hail in the summer is normal. BUT, if you have to get out a snow shovel to move it, I think it's a bit excessive.


Still, it's better weather than Saskatchewan. Why I remember going to school, uphill, in a snowstorm....blah blah blah.

Comments:
I remember that hailstorm...one of the hailstorms... where we had to shovel. I couldn't see across the street while it was coming down. Ahhhh, the memories. Why am I moving back again? You guys didn't sign Pronger to your hockey team!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?